Thursday, August 25, 2011

Can I just say...what a week! And it's not over yet. Wow. Let's go day by day.

Sunday: We woke up early and tried to finish the last minute packing before Sacrament meeting. After the meeting we said our goodbyes, finished packing, and hit the road. We drove for the next nine hours (with breaks for Jamison and gas) and arrived in Clarksville, Tennessee around 10 p.m. Before we fell asleep, Tyler told me he was a little concerned about the transmission in his truck...it appeared to be overheating. We knew we'd need to be careful.

Monday: We tried to wake up early and get out of town but...we didn't actually leave until around 8:30 a.m. We drove through the rest of Tennessee, Missouri, and part of Kansas. Another long day of driving where we ended up in Topeka, Kansas for the night. The truck did alright, but did leak some fluid.

Tuesday: Again we tried unsuccessfully to get out of town early. Getting four people and a baby up, dressed, fed, and packed is a lot more challenging than I expected. We expected this to be the most boring day of driving since Kansas is so flat and the towns are so far apart. Tyler had to add some fluids to the truck at lunch time and then the car gas sensor started having problems. We ended the day just outside of Denver, Colorado. Jamison had a tummy ache and it made me so sad! I was glad when he was finally able to get some sleep.

Wednesday: We actually got out of the hotel at the time we had decided on the night before. We stopped for gas and Tyler had to add more fluid to the truck. We drove for an hour and had to stop because there was obviously something very wrong with the truck. Originally we thought it was the water pump...but after finding an auto shop in a nearby town we were told it was not just the water pump but also the head gasket and timing seals. I don't know what all that means but I did know it meant we were looking at an expensive and time consuming repair. We spent the rest of the day trying to find a cheaper and faster way to get our truck and our things to Utah. Tyler rented a moving truck and we moved all of our things from the trailer the truck was pulling to this moving truck in the hopes that we could put a dolly on the back to pull the truck. But no one in the area had a big enough dolly. So Devin thought he had found someone who could tow the truck to Utah. We waited and waited to hear back as to whether or not they could help us and at 5 p.m. Tyler sent Leisl, Jamison, and I to Utah since Leisl had work training the next morning. Tyler and Devin stayed in Colorado to wait for someone to tow the truck. Jamison slept through most of the remaining drive and we arrived in Utah before midnight.

Thursday: Tyler and Devin continued waiting to get details about getting the truck to Utah. I spent the day trying to work out details about an apartment contract we were trying to get some another couple in Idaho. It's been a mess and all the people who can help me sort it out are gone for the week at a training. I am hoping someone will be in tomorrow who can help me. We have to return the moving truck, in Idaho, on Sunday. I don't know where we will be living or putting out stuff. Tonight Tyler told me that hopefully the truck will get towed tomorrow afternoon. I hope it works out and we see each other tomorrow night. I also hope we aren't homeless.

Oh, but today Jamison, Leisl, and I visited Meagan, Zach, Conner, and Emily. So fun!


And on the bright side, look at the nice view we had while we were trying to figure out what was wrong with the truck...this is near Frisco, Colorado. It was cold (48 degrees...that hurt after the nice warm weather in South Carolina) but beautiful.



No comments: