Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Funny Things Kids Say

You have to love how open kids are. They are so straightforward and tell you exactly what it is they think. In the past two days, I've had some very interesting conversations with kids about being pregnant.

Yesterday a little boy walked past me, stopped, and said, "Are you pregnant, or what?" When I confirmed that I was pregnant he began rubbing my belly, explaining to me that is what pregnant moms do. He asked me where my baby's head was, where my baby's bum was, how my baby was sitting, and where the umbilical cord was. He told me he had watched a dad on t.v. cut an umbilical cord, and pulled up his shirt and asked me to show him how long the umbilical cord is when they cut it. Then he asked me what my baby ate, and if he was hungry. It was really funny. I was a little concerned that with all the smart questions he was asking, I would soon hear him ask how the baby would be getting out of my belly. Luckily we didn't go there.

Then today in my primary class we were talking about the Word of Wisdom, which is all about what foods we should eat and what foods we should avoid in order to keep our bodies healthy. As we discussed why it was important and what blessings came from eating healthy, one girl came up with an example of someone being large and unable to exercise because they ate too many potato chips. Her story began like this:

"If you were really fat..." And then she paused. She looked at me and said, "I'm not talking about you. Because I know that you aren't fat, you are pregnant. And being pregnant is a blessing." Then she went on with her story.

So there you have it...I'm not fat, but pregnant. It's a blessing. And because I'm a pregnant mom, I should be rubbing my belly all the time. :)

Let me leave you with a picture of a form I got at the hospital last week. I find it entertaining:

"Accident information: LAST MENSTRUAL. Accident Date/Time: 07/31/10" Ooops...she's pregnant!

4 comments:

Jayme said...

"You're not fat; you're pregnant and it's a blessing" that is so cute!

Jess and Richard said...

Oh my heck, that form is funny...

Emerson and Cassandra said...

So hilarious!

Megan said...

Those kid comments are so fun! Love the "I know that you aren't fat, you are pregnant. And being pregnant is a blessing." Sweet and true.