However, when Tyler and I moved to South Carolina, we spent the first two and a half months living with Tyler's mom and sister...and also two dogs and a cat. I decided at the end of that time that dogs weren't so bad. They have funny personalities and you can teach them not to lick you...for the most part.
So when my mother in law asked me to dog sit (Miss Kittycat has moved to Utah with Tyler's sister) for two weeks while she was out of town, I thought "no problem! This will be a breeze!" Apparently being the sole caretaker to the dogs is a lot different from just living in the same house as them.
Meet Jake and Rusty. Partners in crime.
Eats Acorns.
Will put up with just about anything as long as you are giving him attention.
Has a very deep, snore-like breathing pattern when he sleeps.
Whines when he wants something.
Licks the carpet almost constantly.
Loves to tease Jake.
Takes up a lot of space when he sleeps.
Has a very funny "happy dance".
I have had myriad adventures with these two during my dog-sitting excursion. My mother in law was worried about me making her sound bad by sharing the dogs' naughty little tricks. We all agree it's not her fault, right? I would promise not to share anything bad but...what fun would that be? I'll try to keep it simple....
Day 1-Rusty decided he didn't like staying in the backyard or the house....and took off around the neighborhood. He came back the next morning when he was hungry.
Day 2-Jake tried to show me who was boss of the house by marking his territory indoors. *Note: A big thank you for Tyler for taking care of it for me.
Day 3-Tyler was in town...the 2 of us+2 dogs+1 bed=very uncomfortable sleeping arrangements!
Day 4-Besides not being able to make up their mind as to whether they wanted to stay inside with me or chase squirrels in the backyard...it was a good day.
Day 5-I vacuumed and as soon as I finished both dogs began tearing their toys to bits all over the carpet. Of course.
Day 6-Jake took a liking to my underwear...and ate some of it.
Day 7-It rained throughout the day so when I let the dogs in, I have to wipe their paws off first. They know that's the drill, but Rusty decided he's too cool for that. So he jumped over me and the towel and ran around the house, spreading muddy cheer. Only...it didn't make me very cheerful.
2 comments:
Ha! That's exactly how I felt when we adopted our cats! You totally doubt your abilities as a "parent". It's definitely a good learning experience though! :)
I am totally laughing here about Day 6. Rest assured that will not happen when you're a parent -- though there are plenty of other personal things children will ruin! =D I am not a dog person -- actually not a PET person. I like animals when they are visitors but not roommates {though Bryan has vowed to change that someday}. =P
Big Kudos to you!!
Post a Comment