Monday, January 31, 2011

Last Resort?

I had an experience while I was in Utah that really struck me...and the thought has stuck with me since then. I feel like it would be appropriate to share. Maybe someone else will get as much out of it as I did.

One night, my brothers and I had gone out for frozen yogurt. When we got home and were walking up the stairs from the garage to the house, my youngest brother's (Wesley's) CTR ring fell off his finger and disappeared in a pile of potting things next to the stairs.

So I sent him inside for a flashlight and we began searching the garage for his lost ring. My first thought as I sat on the stairs, digging through old flowerpots that I remembered painting when I was 9 or so, was that perhaps saying a quick prayer would help us find the ring. I am ashamed to admit, however, that I dismissed the thought.

For the next ten or fifteen minutes, Wesley and I searched and searched. At first we half-heartedly pushed things around and then we began moving things in earnest. Finally, I conceded in my mind that a prayer certainly couldn't hurt. So I silently asked Heavenly Father to help Wesley and I find his missing CTR ring.

We continued the search for another five or so minutes and then, as I was honestly about to give up, I saw the ring hiding behind an old piece of paper. In triumph we grabbed the ring, replaced all the flower pots and potting supplies, and headed into the house.

Wesley thanked me for helping him find his ring, and I admitted that we should probably thank Heavenly Father too. What Wesley said next really impressed me.

"Of course," he said. "You know, it may be weird...but every time I feel nervous or panicked about something, the first thing I do is say a prayer."

And just like that, my youngest brother (without even knowing it) reprimanded me for my lack of faith.

Heavenly Father should not be my last resort...he should be my first. It doesn't matter if it's something big like needing help finding a lost child, or something small like a missing CTR ring. Heavenly Father will help us with anything that matters to us, if only we will ask in faith. My brother recognizes that, and now I do too.

1 comment:

Ms. Abbott said...

I really enjoyed that Tenika. Thanks for sharing that. It's funny sometimes we don't seriously think about asking Heavenly Father's help at first. I think its great what Wesley said we should all be more like that. You should try sending this in to the Ensign or New Era its a great testimony of prayer. Thanks for sharing this.