Thursday, April 8, 2010

News Flash

Marriage, as wonderful as it is, does not always look like this:

That is not to say that there isn't a lot of love in marriage, that we don't smile often, or that there aren't happy moments. But people are delusional if they think marriage is always rainbows and sunshine. Happily Ever After takes work.

I was recently reminded of this when Tyler and I were having a discussion about our differing views on certain aspects of life. Melding two different personalities, two different cultures (even though we are both white Mormons from the U.S. we have different cultures. Even if we had grown up right next door to each other, we still came from different families and thus there are cultural differences), two different lives...is hard.

Sometimes when Tyler and I talk about things we like, things we want, and things we look forward to, we wonder how on earth we ended up together. We are SO different. But the good news is that on the things that really matter, we agree...for the most part. And on the things that don't matter as much, we are learning to compromise.

Because in order for any relationship to work, be it between friends, coworkers, spouses, roommates, etc., there has to be compromise. We have to be willing to give up some things, or change some things, in order to make the relationship thrive.

So for anyone out there who isn't married, or who is and had forgotten...marriage takes work. It's not easy. It's beautiful, and wonderful, and brings happiness and absolute bliss...but not without work. Please don't ever begin thinking that if marriage is hard, you are doing something wrong. That if you and your spouse don't agree, you should just give up. You're not doing anything wrong unless you stop working hard, loving constantly, and compromising consistently.

3 comments:

Tamsyn said...

That is so true! Thank you for sharing! Sometimes, all you see are so many happy couples around, that you think if you are the only couple that disagree or argue,etc. Sometimes I feel that way, but it is good to remember that we are not the only one's. How are you doing Tenika? We need to keep in touch! Please give me your email.

Tenika Dennis said...

Tamsyn, I have two email addresses. My gmail one (which I don't use for much beyond blogging) and my hotmail one. I will give you both.

crzy4ty@gmail.com

littleknight27@hotmail.com

I'd love to get an email from you!

Megan said...

Bryan and I are so different in most ways, too. We laugh about it all the time, actually. Usually if there's something one of us doesn't like, you can bet that the other one loves it. =) But it sure keeps life from getting stale. Well said, Tenika!