Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How Do You Do It?

How do you wives/mothers/seeming super-women do it? I feel incredibly overwhelmed, discouraged, and like I fall hopelessly short.

My dishes are only half done. My laundry is sitting in the dryer, unfolded. My kitchen floor needs to be swept and mopped. The stove top needs to be wiped down. The spare bedroom looks like a tornado hit, and the bedroom isn't much better. The car floor is covered in dirt and loose gravel. There's a thin layer of dust covering the whole apartment. I haven't been to the gym in at least two weeks. I have a disgusting rash on my face. There are four callings to be made and my mind is blank. I didn't read my scriptures yesterday. I have no lesson plan ready for my clients tomorrow. The reading for Sunday has not even been touched. I can't figure out my husband's math homework. I need to write a letter to my missionary friend...

I can think of a million other things that I haven't done. A million things that need to be done. A million things that make me feel like I will never be a good housewife, mother, etc. So how do you do it?

When it feels like there is way too much to be done and you just want to relax, how do you justify it? Or how to you keep working through the feeling? When you are frustrated and angry, how do you keep from crying and yelling and assuming the fetal position? When your husband is super stressed after only two days of school, how do you support and comfort him?

HOW DO YOU DO IT ALL???

8 comments:

Cassott Kinghorn said...

1. Find a reason to smile
2. Listen to your favorite song
3. Pray :)
4. Hug him, long and hard
5. Eternal perspective baby :)
6. Be Cassie's gym buddy
7. Think of things one and a time, not all at once :s
8. Read a conference talk
9. take a bubble bath while doing any of the above (except 6!)
10. Just breathe :) (this coming from a person that a had breakdown last night because all the important things can't be planned by her of when they will happen and how...thank goodness for the gospel! We just need patience and love :D)
Love you! Good luck friend.

Tenika Dennis said...

Cassie,
As always you are so right and help me bring things back into perspective. Thank you so much for being my friend and giving me advice. You're awesome. We need to get together sometime!

Courtney said...

Don't beat yourself up so much. Just do what you can and don't worry about the rest. Laundry and dishes can always wait. Just take care of the most important things first and if you have time for the rest, then do it. There was a quote that I always found a little funny and I don't remember exactly how it went, but something along the lines of a clean house is a sign of un lived life... I just took it as don't worry so much about it and go live your life, enjoy it! Don't get me wrong I one of the biggest worriers there is, but slowly I am learning I just gotta let go and chill out alot. It is making things a lot easier for me. Hopefully this helps a little. And thanks for your comments on my blog. I know it has been so crazy, haven't blogged for awhile.

Tenika Dennis said...

Thanks for your advice, Courtney. It helps to know I'm not the only one who feels overwhelmed, that I don't need to be so overwhelmed. I like that quote. I always love hearing from you! Hope life is going well.

Megan said...

In my experience, you DON'T do it all! You take one thing at a time {triage-style, on some days!} and you do what you can until you have a chance to regroup and make a more organized 'battle-plan'. {I am totally with you right now, and I need to take my own advice!} You fill your mind with the essential things {of eternal worth} and you let the scriptures and the words of the prophets remind you of Why and How. You'll get through this!

Tenika Dennis said...

Thanks Meagan. It's nice to hear from multiple people that we just have to do what we can. I guess I want to do everything and sometimes that is just not possible. And you are so right...eternal perspective. I think sometimes I leave that out of the mix.

The Arnolds said...

I think the quote Courtney was thinking about was the one I really live by. "My House isn't messy it is lived in!"
Believe me most moms/wives out there are super woman or anything, we just do what we can when we can, (like clean the tub while showering). Just do put pressure on yourself to be perfect, no one is. As long as you are healthy and happy then don't worry about cleaning the entire place everyday. If I get one room clean a day then I am doing awesome!
If you are stressed about everything on your to do list start on the biggest thing and when you have it done you will only have the small stuff. Just breathe and you will make it just fine!

Tenika Dennis said...

Thanks Amy. Getting to hear from all of you who have been married and mothers before me is really helpful! I guess everyone just appears to be superwomen???