Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Roller Coaster!

Tyler and I have had a roller coaster ride the past two days. It's nothing too major, but at the time it sure seemed like a huge deal. (Yes, I still have a long way to go with my attitude change!)

As I mentioned before, Tyler has been looking into changing his major. He has been doing an Exercise Physiology major with the idea of becoming a physical therapist. However, he has decided that physical therapy really isn't the career for him. Now he plans to go into Computer Engineering. Yeah, my husband is smart.

Yesterday, Tyler planned to go on campus and talk to an adviser about making the switch. He went to what he thought was the right building, and they told him he had to go to another building, half-way across campus. On the way, he did some sort of funky trip down the stairs and messed up his ankle somehow. (Like he did on his mission, for those who know anything about that). So trying not to die on the spot, Tyler limped his way back to the truck and got himself home (I was at work). Tyler spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch with his ankle elevated. Poor boy.

Last night after dinner (delicious homemade pizza!) Tyler got an email from his boss with a flight itinerary for Sunday. They wanted him in Fort Riley, Kansas, to start work Monday. Being completely honest, yes, I was very upset. I don't want to be apart, which I think is understandable. But as I was lying in bed later that night, unable to sleep, I realized I need to be counting my blessings. At least my husband has a job. At least we'd have over a week together before he left. At least I knew he'd be back when school started in April (saying we stayed up in Rexburg). So I worked on my attitude, sang a hymn, said a prayer, and finally fell asleep.

First thing Tyler did this morning was check his email. There was another email from his boss. This one saying that his trip to Ft. Riley was canceled and he most likely won't be working again until the middle of March. There was a slight sigh of relief on my end, although we do want him to be working.

Then, after breakfast, I played chauffeur and took Tyler back to campus to talk to the right adviser. We waited for 40 minutes, with three other people in front of us, and finally got in. Tyler has now successfully changed his major to Computer Engineering. And (slightly to my dismay...I'm craving a change...) it looks like we will be in Rexburg for a while still.

And just a funny side note...Tyler is going through facial hair withdrawal.

This morning as we were brushing our teeth and all that fun stuff, Tyler began singing a song. Anyone who has heard Tyler sing knows that he has an awesome voice, and is very creative...he makes up his own words to the song if he doesn't know the words. So he was singing his little made up version of a song and I told him it was "silly." His response was so funny.

"It's not silly. But you know what is?" (at this point he is staring in the mirror and rubbing a hand over his now smooth chin) "my face."

My husband sure does make me smile.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Hurray for tender mercies like extra time together... and knowing where you'll be at least for the next little while. Sorry to hear Tyler hurt his ankle.