Monday, November 9, 2009

I'm Always Good For A Laugh

I thought it would be fun to share something that would give everyone a laugh. Everyone I've told it to laughs...a lot. There is one condition though. I recognize that I'm a little bit stupid, and that it would be fun to laugh at me for the rest of eternity...but please refrain. Thank you. That said....

Last week I started having this problem with my eye. My right eye, which is my "bad" eye. It started two Sundays ago...I noticed at church that my eye was blurry and I was having a hard time reading the music. It continued all day. Monday it was still blurry. AND it felt like there was something in it. Not in a painful way like when a bug flies into your eye, but just that something is there. It's felt almost like when I have my contact in. But I knew that wasn't it because I had taken my contact out Saturday night and since then I'd worn glasses.

Tuesday it was still bothering me. I mentioned it to my mom, who told me to talk to my dad about it. I did, and he wondered if I wasn't getting a cataract. Which would be very not cool. He told me to call my cousin Jim who is an optometrist.

So Wednesday at work, with my eye still bothering me, I call Jim and explain how it's feeling and acting. He says it sounds a little bit like it's dry, but without all the right symptoms. The best he could tell me was to keep an eye on it (no pun intended) and if it was still bothering me in a few days get it looked at.

Thursday night, things got really bad. My eye started to hurt and feel like there really was something in there...something that was catching on my eye lid. Tyler and I started to think maybe Jim was on to something when he said it was dry. So we took a quick trip to the store and bought some eye drops. And because my eye was bothering me so bad, Tyler opened the eye drops before we'd even paid for them and put some in my eye. It helped for about ten seconds.

When we got home I looked at my eye in the mirror to try and figure out what on earth was the matter with it. I ALMOST thought I could see something in the corner of my eye. Tyler took a look for me and said it looked like there was a bubble. All I could think was, "great, I have a tumor." Yes, that is my first thought whenever I find a bump on my body...anyway...He said, "no, it's not a tumor. It's like...a bubble...are you sure you took your contact out?" What a dumb question. Of course I was sure. To prove it, I pulled out my contact case. But when I opened it up...no contact. So I put my finger in my eye and...oh look...a folded up contact in the corner of my eye.

Yes, the horrible blurriness that had me believing I had cataracts at a far too young age, and the bubble that made me think I had a tumor and would be blind forever....was a contact that I swore I had taken out four days earlier but apparently hadn't. Feel free to laugh, just do it behind my back. I don't know when the last time I heard my dad laugh so much was, but he sure found that story hilarious. Actually Tyler laughed quite a bit too.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I am very squeamish about eyes in general and contacts in particular, so it doesn't sound all that funny to me. But that's just because I'm a wimp. =) I'm so glad it had a happy ending!

Courtney said...

You silly girl... I am glad it wasn't anything serious!