Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Adventures in South Carolina--Welcome to Sumter

Welcome to the deep south! I was soooo excited to be out here. Not only was it Tyler's heritage and the place of some of his growing up years...it's also a part of the U.S. I had never been to.

The first thing I noticed about South Carolina (and actually I first noticed it as we were flying over Georgia) was all the trees! Here we are, driving through Sumter, and you'd have no idea because there are trees along both sides of the street...it's like this all over!


One of the "crowning features" so to speak, of Sumter is Swan Lake. So of course, I HAD to go there. It was really pretty, and brags every species of Swan in the world.

Yeah, I have no idea what kind of swan this is. What I do know is that he was not at all scared of me. I was probably two feet away before he started to back up.


Do you see the tree roots? They are sticking out of the ground! Actually, they are known as tree "knees" and no one knows why the grow that way, but they make a good home for birds and snakes and things.



Another thing about South Carolina...it rains a lot. But that's okay, it's a warm rain!


You can tell that my hair loves humidity :s


This black swan was a little bit more nervous than the other, but still didn't seemed too bothered by the fact that a human was getting so close. They are obviously used to the attention.


I took like 40 pictures at Swan Lake. It was just so pretty and...GREEN!

No comments: