Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fun and Happiness!

Oh my gosh, I just finished up the best seven days yesterday! Tyler came to visit and it was soooo fantastic! We were talking about how often we actually get to see each other and it works out to about one week every year. Depressing. BUT he'll be in Idaho starting April so then hopefully I'll see him more often.

Tyler's plane arrived about 7:30 last Tuesday. I picked him up at the airport. And because I HATE driving at night/at all...I had two friends come along. We all went out to dinner afterwards, then Tyler and I went home to see the family. He didn't stay at my house, he stayed at his old bishop's house. It's a bishop he had when he lived in Idaho eight years ago, and how lucky for us his family now lives a few blocks from me!



Thursday night Tyler and I went to the open house of the new Draper Temple. There were A LOT of people there! My dad had told us the whole thing (not driving, just walking through the temple) would take about an hour. It took us close to two. But it was worth it. The temple looks absolutely gorgeous and there is such a feeling of peace within those walls! And it was definitely nice to walk into the sealing room where people are married and think...this could be us someday... :)




Friday was my birthday and guess what my family got me! A rat! He is super adorable. I know a lot of people think of rats and go...rodent, ew! I used to think that too. Until I took a class where we trained rats. I absolutely fell in love with the rat I trained and have been wanting one of my own ever since. The only down side is I'm allergic to his tail--it gives me hives. No biggie though, I just wear long sleeves when I hold him. Oh, his name is Selwyn. I know it's a weird name. My dad actually came up with it. Here's the story...My parents got my name from a New Zealand television program. The "Tenika" on the program was kind of the equivalent to Vanna White on Wheel of Fortune. The host of the show was named "Selwyn." So as Dad puts it, "Selwyn and Tenika are finally reunited."


Saturday was an eventful day as well. One of the primary kids I teach was baptized. I don't think I'd been to a baptism since my little brother was baptized...that was almost 5 years ago! So that was a neat experience. And I was pretty proud of myself because I made her a little pearl bracelet...all by myself! After the baptism, Tyler and I went to Ogden to see his mission president and his wife (super nice people!) and then to Tremonton to visit a few families from his mission. It was really nice to catch a glimpse of that part of his life. You could tell he'd really made a good impression on all of those people, and for some of them it was probably the highlight of their week to see him.


Tuesday I took Tyler to the airport. We left at 4:30am. Sick, I know. And sad that he had to go. He's starting a job in Georgia on Thursday, so really what choice did we have? I'm doing alright though, because this seperation is much shorter than the others. Two months isn't that far away! And thanks to modern technology we can talk on the phone and email all we want!


So there is an update on my life!

2 comments:

Cassott Kinghorn said...

horray for special visits! and for posts! :)

Megan said...

Sounds like you all had a great time!