Saturday, December 13, 2008

Here she comes, Miss Ame...er, college graduate!

Last night I graduated from college. People keep asking me how it feels...and I don't feel very different at all. It's strange to think that I have accomplished a four-year degree and that I'm now done with my undergraduate degree. As I was sitting in the Hart Building during Commencement, I kept thinking, "wow, this is the last time I will be a student in this building." To be honest, it almost brought tears to my eyes. And to think...I was so excited to leave!

The evening was really great though, and I thought I'd post a few pictures to highlight the event.

A word to those who have yet to graduate...wear comfortable shoes! From 5:45 to 6:15 I was standing in line, waiting to enter the main room where our parents and friends were waiting. I had the cutest outfit on (that no one could see thanks to the wonderful cap and gown we wear!) and the shoes weren't as comfortable as I had originally thought. My feet were so sore by the time I finally sat down!


At 6:15 we started marching into the main room. We walked down several halls, and were surrounded by professors on either side. The professors were clapping for us and congratulating us. It was neat. At the very end of all that, I could spot President Clark, our univeristy president. Next to me was a man that looked very familiar...but I couldn't figure out where I knew him from until he told me "congratulations" with a German accent. That's when it clicked. President Uchtdorf was standing right next to me! He was the speaker during our Commencement and he did an excellent job. As did President Clark.







After Commencement it was off to Convocation in another building. I had been asked to participate in that program. I had been nervous for weeks about singing in front of so many people, but when it came right down to it, Heavenly Father blessed me. I was calm as I sat on the stage and waited for my turn.






And although my knees shook like crazy, my parents told me my voice didn't. I sang "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go" with my friend Rachel accompanying me on her flute and a wonderful girl helping us out on piano. The Convocation was excellent, and fairly short.




I still can't believe I've made it this far, but it's pretty neat! I am so grateful for my parents and all they have done for me. I could never have made it this far without them. And I'm also grateful for the friends I've had in my life, especially the wonderful friends who have been so supportive throughout my education.









2 comments:

Megan said...

Congratulations, University Graduate!! I wish I could have heard you sing!

kara said...

Congrats Tenika!! Just wait, a year and a half more and I'll be in your shoes!! ;) Love!