Monday, October 15, 2012

Sometimes I go along in life with this picture in my mind of how thing are going to be.  I start planning exactly what I want from life, how and when I'm going to get it, and how great and perfect it will be.  And that's when God steps in and reminds me that I have no idea what I'm talking about.  I've just had a day like that.

In my world, Tyler was going to start school next summer and do homework like a mad-man and graduate in two years.  Then we'd be DONE being a college student family.  I was looking forward to this.  Reality stepped in yesterday (in the form of my husband) and reminded me that since Tyler is a husband and a father and has to work to provide money for our family while he's in school....it will probably take 4 years.  My picture?  Shattered.  And replaced with a new one. 

In my world, we would also not have to move again until Tyler was done with school.  It was blissful to think that I wouldn't have to pack and clean and search for homes and unpack for a few years.  Now we have been informed by our landlord that he may or may not want us to move out next summer.  It's still up in the air.  Apparently Tyler and I are cursed with a weird curse that forces us to move every single summer.  Blah.

So now I'm back in the real world.  Tyler is working two jobs this month, helping to finish the basement of a friend's house.  He loves the work though he's told me more than once that he hates not seeing me or Jamison.  Usually he's at the school district before Jamison wakes up and he goes straight from work to help in the basement and doesn't get home until long after Jamison goes to bed.  He had Sunday off, though, and got plenty of time to interact with our cranky teething baby.  Now he's probably glad to escape.  Juuuuust kidding.  We both love our son, even when he's cranky.  I mean, look how cute he is:

 (modeling his Nana's sunglasses at the zoo)

But back to Tyler's work schedule....this might actually continue for longer than a month because Tyler is looking at getting a more permanent second job until he goes back to school (which, I forgot to mention, is now taking place next fall instead of next summer...got to save up more money!).

It's okay, though.  I mean, my version of life has been messed with but that's nothing new.  How often do we make a plan that ends up needing to be changed?  And when I let God help me make the plan (something I've obviously been forgetting to do) then it will all turn out for the best....and the best that God can plan is bound to be way better than anything I could come up with. 

3 comments:

Jayme said...

Bummer! I hate that husbands have to work so much!

Jess and Richard said...

So hard when things don't go the way we want them to. But I am so glad you get to stay home with Jamison, hurray for hard working husbands!

Laura said...

Husbands plus schooling is tough. We were in the same situation two years ago. Hang in there! It's possible. We're starting to see the light at the end of a tunnel.