Would you like the recipe?
1-Make a family trip of picking a gazillion pounds of apples (okay, we only picked 15 pounds...)

3-Slice up all your apples (you can also peel them if you'd like, Tyler opted for keeping the skin on ours) and fill your jars up half way.4-Make your sauce:
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 tablespoon nutmeg
10 cups water
Boil until thick and bubbly, then add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. (this will make enough sauce for approximately 7 quarts.)
5-Cover your apples with sauce. Then fill the jars with more apples and cover with more sauce until you have left 1 inch of head space (where the bottle neck starts).
6-Cover your jars in boiling water for 20 minutes.7-When the 20 minutes is up, turn the pot off and let the jars sit for 5 to 10 minutes (so they can cool).
8-Take the jars out of the water and turn them upside down to finish cooling and seal. They might leak so be sure to place them on newspaper, a towel, in a box...some way to keep your counters safe!
9-Tie with a pretty bow and share a few jars with the neighbors. :)
10-Enjoy apple pie, and feel accomplished knowing it was all done with your own hands!
3 comments:
$.50/pound?? Wow! That's a great deal! Your apple pie filling looks amazing too :) Good job!
so fun! Way to make some memories! :D PS-I haven't forgotten you! I get home around 7:00 and run around like crazy and then go to bed...life at the daycare is a little nuts right now but hopefully soon it will calm down so I can see you!
Ooh! I'm probably getting some apples from the church orchard here this week. I've debated about making some pie filling with them {for sure making applesauce if I get some}, so I really appreciate the recipe. Thanks! =)
Post a Comment