Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Calling for Encouragement

I have this daydream where everything is perfect. Where life isn't hard. We have all the money we need. Marriages and family life are always happy and successful. It's easy to be near the people we love. And traveling? It's easy. Beam me up, Scotty!

But every day I'm learning that life isn't perfect, and can't be. We're supposed to have challenges. And as hard as they are...and as much as they make us want to pull our hair out and run away and cry and curl into the fetal position...

I keep hearing that it's going to be okay. That this is all going to be worth is, and we will learn and grow from these experiences. I've even heard that sometimes we'll look back on these experiences and be grateful for them.

At particularly stressful times, I need to hear those stories. I need to hear that other people made it and I will too.

So...has it ever happened to you? Did you go through something really hard, really awful, really stressful....and come out a better person? Were you ever able to look back and be grateful for those horrible circumstances and how they made your life better in some way? Please share!

4 comments:

Viva said...

Well, I'm pretty sure you know the experiences I have had but many of them were rough...and often it's hard to gain the perspective that everything will out alright in the end. However, I can tell you, it does. Our trials are a pain but it is for our own good. Through these trials we learn what things to not do and what things to strengthen. At the end, it will get better and you'll be stronger for overcoming it. You seem to have a good perspective on how to handle these things. I believe in you and I know things can be rough and it's hard to see the way but it WILL be okay :) I believe in every trial there is a blessing and with time that will come to light. Keep strong and smile often!

Kara Jarvis said...

I am a firm believer that the choices we make today directly impact the person we are tomorrow. When you are living through a difficult time, you have the CHOICE to let it ruin your life, or to punch it in the face and stand back up. Maybe your bank account has 20 bucks in it and you have to live on Ramen for a week until payday (we've done that...multiple times). Maybe you miss your family--or in your case, husband--when you are apart, get on Skype and talk to them. We have the CHOICE to be happy. Nothing will get handed to us because we have to earn it. And when the better times come? DROWN in them. Let them completely take over your life. Savor every moment. Because you control your own happiness.

Ms. Abbott said...

I won't share with you one of my experiences because I'm pretty sure you've heard most of them. But if you ever need me to share a time with you I can. I really like what Kara said. I also agree with Kara about choice. It's all about your attitude. If you want to be happy you are, it really doesn't matter on whats going on. I mean it's harder if life is hard but if you keep a positive attitude and keep having faith it will work out. Sure you'll have your days where you want to go lay down and not get back out of bet till the next morning. But thats okay as long as we don't let that feeling stay. A friend of mine sent me this quote and I think its appropriate. "We live in troubled times, but our future is as bright as our faith." Thomas S. Monson

Megan said...

A definite theme at the most recent General Conference! We're right in the middle of our life being up-in-the-air as far as what details the future holds for us. And it's hard not knowing what exactly we'll be doing in 3 months, but I feel a great sense of peace knowing that no matter what/where, the Lord will take care of us. He always has, and I know He will continue to have His hand in our lives.