My wonderful mother sent us a little present to open every day before Christmas. It's usually an activity we can do, though sometimes it's a decoration or food or something. One thing she sent us was all the fixings to make our own "Gingerbread" (it's really graham cracker) house.
Tyler is the architect in our family. I just like putting candy on the finished product. So this year he designed a church. Originally it was meant to be a cathedral but since we were using a plate we had limited room.
Sunday night Laurie, Tyler, and I went to a drive through Bethlehem that a local church was putting on. What a cool experience! They gave us a CD that had scriptures telling the story of the birth of Christ, then we got to drive through scenes (the angel coming to Mary, the angel coming to the shephards, the wisemen traveling) as well as driving through a Bethlehem market place. At the end we saw the nativity scene...Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus. And like Tyler promised me (I didn't believe him) they were all black. I'm not racist...I've just never seen a black Jesus before.
On our way home after the Bethlehem event, we stopped by Swan Lake. It is one of my favorite parts of Sumter....a beautiful lake filled with every type of Swan that can be found in the world. They had it all decked out for the holidays and it reminded me of the Spanish Fork Festival of Lights that I was missing out on this year.
Then last night, as another gift from my mom, we were able to make S'mores and Hot Chocolate. My family has a fire pit in the backyard that they usually use (unless it's so cold and windy a fire won't start....) but we've discovered the stove top works just as well.
2 comments:
That drive-through Bethlehem sounds like such a great family activity! I love the Christmas activities you're doing while Tyler is home. Notwithstanding the missing paychecks, I'm so glad for you to get to spend time together right now!
Oh man! I didn't even think about the Festival of Lights this year! Now I'm bummed...thanks a lot, Tenika! haha.
Post a Comment