As a way to help simplify my life, and keep me sane, I came to the decision earlier this week to delete Facebook. Honestly, Tyler has been asking me to do so for months now. Embarrassingly enough, it was starting to become an addiction. I couldn't handle not knowing what everyone's statuses would say, or without seeing what new pictures would be posted. It was getting ridiculous.
So after some drama, some realizations, and an internal struggle...I announced to all my Facebook friends that I would be leaving.
Some of the responses surprised me.
I found that some people were extremely worried that we wouldn't be able to stay in contact. Some expressed sincere regret because that is the only way they communicate with their friends. People were sad they wouldn't be able to see my pictures anymore. I had a person or two actually tell me good job for taking the step.
Now that I've made the decision and am preparing on going through with it (just giving a few more people the chance to give me their email addresses, etc.), I feel almost free. I won't be stuck knowing every single thing that happens to every single person every single minute of every single day. And thank goodness I will get away from all the Farmville and Petville and whatever else...invites clogging up the news feed.
As I have thought about the different reactions people have had towards my decision, I can't help but be astounded how society (myself included) has become so reliant on these websites to keep us connected with the world. We feel like we can't survive without them. And yet...as my dad has been pointing out for a long time...for thousands of years people survived without Facebook. And were probably better off for it.
I am a little bit surprised and entertained, perhaps even a little puzzled, by people who are worried that they will no longer be able to know about my life, or talk to me. If you really care what I'm up to...why can't you shoot me an email? I'll even send you some pictures in my response. Or call me up. Or hey, we could get together and you could be in some of my pictures. AND I have a blog...tada!!! I post pictures here. :)
I've decided part of the addiction to these sites is the convenience. Some people probably like that they don't have to put much effort into glancing at my pictures online. But emailing and asking for them, or calling me? That takes more time. Can't kill as many birds with your stone. And then there's that awkward thing where you have to talk to the person...ew.
Already I am trying to come to grips with the reality that I may miss out on hearing my friend's announcements of pregnancy, engagements, college acceptances/graduations. It will be frustrating and hard. Sometimes I will feel sad and very forgotten. Maybe this is how I will pinpoint my true friends. Or maybe this is how I will discover just how little other forms of communication are used these days.
Despite all the problems I can foresee, I do feel good about my decision. I almost feel like a burden is being lifted. And I'll get to spend a lot more time with my husband...maybe...
4 comments:
I understand. I have barely been on facebook, well the computer lately. Things are just so busy and when I do have time I usually am with my girls. I will continue to check your blog when I can. Hope all goes well...
we really need to keep in better contact! I know I am to blame for that one. Feel free to call or email me anytime now that I have a phone that does it all. My new email address is c4zombievixen@gmail.com I know weird name but Bryce set that up for my PS3 account.... Anyways talk to you later!
That's really awesome you took that step and deleted facebook! It is hard to get away from. I'm glad you have your blog! I love my blog. Use it more than facebook.
It's funny how it seems so hard to simplify our life -- like we're sacrificing so much -- and yet there is usually such a sense of freedom when the clutter {of whatever sort} is gone. Good for you for going with what feels right for you! {And I'm glad it's not the blog you're giving up! =D}
Post a Comment