Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Lovely Bones

Last night Tyler and I went to Idaho Falls (well, actually Ammon which is across the street from Idaho Falls) to see a movie. We had a free movie ticket that we got by entering the code from our Cheerios box online. Only....we forgot the free ticket. Oh well.

The price of going to the movie theater these days is insanely expensive. I looked at the teenage couples sitting in front of us in the theater and wondered how they can afford to date. Not only did they come to the movie, but the bought the $8 popcorn and the $5 soda. And half of them probably did dinner before the movie. That's a lot of money!

I was really excited for the movie. I had seen previews for The Lovely Bones and it looked like my kind of movie. I hate movies that are predictable (unless I find them super funny). So I'm up for a good mystery. And I hate when they have those fake happy endings where everything turns out perfect without any death or tragedy or anything. It's just not realistic.

So here was a movie with death. A happy ending would only be bitter-sweet. And although you know who the murderer is...the question is whether or not the family will find out who the murderer is.

After walking out of the theater, Tyler asked me what I thought. Usually I can say right away that it was either "good", "stupid", or (I think Tyler hates this answer most of all) "meh". With this movie, I had no idea if I liked it or not. I still can't decide. It had good elements, but I was thrown off by what happened to the spirit of the murdered girl. I can't decide if I liked it or not.

I will say that they did a good job developing the characters. The portrayal of the way the family dealt with the death was good. The characteristics of the murderer were just what you would see. Those things are important to me in a movie. I hate t.v. shows and movies where the characters experience the death of a loved one and hardly even cry or show any pain. That's not realistic.

Enough blabbering. I'd say go watch the movie and decide for yourself if you like it. BUT I'd also say wait until it's out of the $9 theaters. Or better yet, wait for Red Box. It's soooo much cheaper!

No comments: