Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Own Book

So maybe it's a little silly, but I want to try my hand at writing a book. I used to have a real passion for writing and I always thought I'd grow up and write amazing books all the time. In my entire life, I've maybe finished half a dozen stories I've started. And those were probably all for school. No, wait, I lie. I did force myself to finish one story I began, but only because I'd promised someone I'd write it for them.

The problem is that I start to get bored. I have the hardest time putting in the details that are supposed to help make the story flow. Basically, I get impatient to make it to "juicy stuff", but I know it's important to keep it flowing and not move too fast. And...I've noticed that I enjoy reading books that have some detail. I assume that means other people like it too, so it's something I really need to work on. But now I'm totally getting off subject...

Back to the book...At work, I have a lot of neat experiences and learn a lot about people. Specifically, I've learned how interesting people are. The people I work with, and for, have the most amazing stories and interesting things going on in their lives. It's funny how much I've learned and changed from when I began working.

For example, there was a resident that I'd seen only from a distance. From what I'd seen and heard, I was absolutely terrified when her daughter asked me to help her with some things. I thought she'd be mean and make my life miserable. Instead, she is one of my favorite people of all times. I love spending time with her!

So the premise of my story would be a girl who starts working for an elderly woman. She starts out not being interested and kind of hating her job, and then she starts to learn more about the woman she's working for...okay, so it's one of those feel-good things where she discovers how wonderful the person is and learns all these great things from her. Maybe it's an over-done story line, but I just can't stop thinking about it.

I figure if it's on my mind this often and for this long (we're talking months, people) than maybe there's something to it. I'm going to at least try...and I'm hoping for a cheering section. It's hard...I'm like two pages in is all. Gah, this will be hard!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Good luck with it!! (and in the midst of planning a wedding, no less!) I look forward to reading excerpts here? :)