Today I am feeling incredibly overwhelmed: emotionally speaking. The past month has been a rocky road while I have been watching my grandpa get weaker and weaker. As a family we have had to work through various emotional turmoils--all of us dealing with our grief in very unique and individualized ways.
Grandpa passed away on Saturday. I am so happy for him though. I think my grandma put it best by saying that she knows there is no where he would choose to be, if he can't be with his family, than in heaven working hard. She actually was more articulate than that, but I can't remember her exact wording. Basically what it boils down to is this: Grandpa lived a very good life. If you could look at even a portion of the lives he has touched, you would be amazed. He was a wonderful, spiritual, thoughtful man. He loved his wife and family very much, and we all knew it. At 90 years old, Grandpa deserved a bit of a rest. He spent close to a month in bed, growing weaker every day. Now he has passed on. And I use that term because that's what happened. Physically he is dead, but spiritually he is alive and well. I believe with all my heart that Grandpa is somewhere beyond this world, blessing lives through his continued service to God. One of the most beautiful parts of my faith as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is my belief that my family is eternal. When we leave this world, we will be together again--and still a family. I know that Grandma and Grandpa will be reunited, and that when I die, I will be reunited with them as well. We never really need to say goodbye...it's more of a "see you later".
And before I end, I just have to say thank you. Yesterday (Monday) Grandpa's obituary was in the paper, and we have had many people send their condolences. It touches me so deeply to have people come over to our house bearing dinner and a heartfelt "I'm so sorry for your loss." My family has been blessed with wonderful neighbors and friends, who show their love and concern in so many different, and yet equally appreciated, ways. Their love and support have really helped during my grieving, and I'm sure the same goes for the rest of my family. I hope that anyone who has to experience the pain of losing a loved one can be blessed with friends and neighbors as thoughtful as mine.
3 comments:
Thanks for your example Tenika. As much as I would like to think that I would deal well with death, just as you have, I am curious to see how well I do. I have never had someone close pass on. Thank goodness for the gospel though! :) Thanks friend!
~Cassie
PS-scott took a pic of the inside of the washer and of the laundry detergent. The titanic exhibit is in IF until September :) It costs $7 a person and is sooo worth it! :)
What a sweet testimony you share! My thoughts are with you & your family. I am so thankful for the gospel & the perspective and comfort it affords us!!
i am sorry to hear that your grandpa passed. i hope that you are doing good. keep in touch.
Post a Comment